With hot summer weather fast approaching, this is the time to ensure your HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems is prepared for the consistently hot months ahead. Proper cooling system maintenance, along with a few simple steps to keep your house cool, will ensure that your air conditioning operates at peak efficiency throughout the summer.
According to the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), your HVAC system could be costing you an additional $1,000 per season to run, due to dirty coils and clogged filters, it if it is not clean and properly maintained.
Air Specialties recommends these HVAC tips to ensure long term reliability and efficiency.
- Change your air conditioning filters at least once a month. Clean filters enable your unit to run more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts.
- Visually inspect your air conditioning ducts to ensure they are not leaking.
- Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape. Replacing weather stripping annually can result in a 15 percent savings on your utility bill.
- Make sure that your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
- Manage the temperature with a programmable thermostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you're away from home. Programmable thermostats are an affordable way to control indoor temperatures for optimal comfort and efficiency.
- Block out direct sun with drapes and window shades.
- Keep windows and doors closed when the air conditioning is on.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the house.
- Plan hot work for cooler morning and evening hours. Basic household functions such as washing, drying and ironing clothes, baking and cooking all make it harder for the cooling system to do its job.
If your air conditioner is not effectively cooling all areas of your home, or you notice unusual noise coming from your HVAC system, call ARA Heating & Air Conditioning, our experienced technicians can help diagnose the problem and repair your cooling system so it provides reliable cooling throughout the summer.